Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tuesday Doesn’t Suck

I had a lot of fun writing my short story Tuesday Sucked. I got to explore, and eventually succumb to, my inner Mickey Spillane. That said, Tuesday is my favorite day of the week.

It started years ago. I’d go to the Greece Barnes and Noble, grab a table in the coffee shop by the window, near the one public outlet (&^%!), and write. With Bose noise suppression headphone playing Sirius Radio’s Escape, my mind was free to traverse the universe as I imagined it. B&N soon became my favorite place to write.

Over time, some of my writer friends would join me. We’d push tables together to create our own Kingdom. I bought an adapter to change those two outlets into six. We’d write, pass work to one-another, talk through a story problem or situation. Friends would see us there, sit down and talk a bit. Sometimes, longer than a bit. It was all wonderful.

About the time Phil found a straight day job, Joanne had been showing up less and less. She didn’t want to drive “all the way to Greece” every week. Eventually, the group dispersed. Soon, other friends stopped by, almost all of them writers. But they weren’t there to write, they were their to talk. Writing became less possible. At first, I resented it. I was there to write, damn it. That’s what I wanted to do.

I’m not sure when it happened, but one week I couldn’t go to B&N at my ‘normal’ time. Okay, you would say, just don’t go. Well, it wasn’t that simple. I was expected. People were coming to B&N so we could meet up. It was no longer a coincidence we got together – it was part of the weekly plan; and one I didn’t want to miss.

It’s been years now that we meet on Tuesday at 1:00 ish. Pat G. shows up soon after, with Pat K. about 3:00. Me with two poets. Amazing.

I sit with my laptop, ready for research. (We told you, Pat, that line isn’t in the song.) What do we talk about? Poetry, news, firebox insets, translating Spanish to English, politics, fools, idiots and ne'er-do-wells. Jung, religion, Don Larson and work ethics. We talk about truckers dealing with freezing gas lines, submarine duty and exploring space. There is no predicting where the conversation will go. And I love it. We will move the day if someone has a conflict. It’s a nice time with good friends and the highlight of my week.

Then, there are those special Tuesdays, every other week, when I go to the Greece library for a writer’s group. We are a small family I don’t see at other groups. We don’t always meet. Sue has an obligation on 2nd Tuesday. Kim teaches. Tippi has to travel to her cat shows. But, we always want to know what is going on, and with such a small group, get to follow a story someone is writing. Second and forth Tuesdays are the best. At the end of the day, I feel replenished and ready for another week.

All-in-all, Tuesday sure doesn’t suck.

PS: Yes Kim, second Thursday is special too.

No comments:

Post a Comment