Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm not sure what happened to the "don't save" part of the "change your blog", but I do want to change it - and now I have to. Previously this was, mostly, a dump for the changes to Duotrope's web page. That's going to change. If you are interested in what changed, just go to the web site. (http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx)

The blog is going to become more personal, with items I want to spread to the less skilled writers like me. What I find that sounds as if I can use it. (IF I'm lucky, I will find a way to write that *^$@ novel.) (And, of course, the chit-chat that drives most people away from a blog.) You need to keep in mind that I am NOT a professional writer. What is published here is what I think - period.

To the people I steal ideas from, you put them out there in the public domain. I will try to credit where I can, but I may write something I remember hearing two weeks ago. There is no way I can be expected to remember that far back who said/wrote it.

I will keep the listing of writer's groups at the end of the blog. I have been to six in this area and every one of them is outstanding. PLEASE visit other groups. (And let me know of ones that I haven't mentioned.)

What I want to talk about today is Braiding. The article, "Use Braiding To Layer Your Story Line" by Heather Sellers is in the July/August issue of "Writer's Digest", page 71-2. (http://writersdigest.coverleaf.com/writersdigest/20090708/?pg=73) (I'm off to a fantastic (awesome, best, best ever, cat's meow, delicious, far out, first-class, first-rate, great, like wow, marvelous, out of sight, out of this world, primo, sensational, superb, unreal - thesaurus.com) start with the crediting.)

For a clear understanding you need to read the article, but basically it talks about writing your novel as a sine wave, with the three (recommended) story lines 90 degrees out of phase. As one story line's action is fading, you should be cranking up the action in one of the others. As that one declines, the third should be building. If you continually alternate the story lines, you will keep the action high, yet not wear out your protagonists (or the reader).

You can write each person's story, then shuffle them in, in the final copy. (1-2-3, 1-2-3, etc.)

I think this will help me, as I can't see my story as a movie. (Another great way to write.) All I see are scenes for each individual. This way, I can write three stories, and meld them into one novel. (Hmmm, is that three short features combined into one cinematic masterpiece?)

That's is for this update. I do't promise to update with any regularity, but plan to be on here weekly, at the least.

Let me know if you like this better or not. And, how I can improve it.

writingsbysay@yahoo.com

* * * * *

Kim Wehner runs the largest writers group in the area. (At least, I think it is the largest.) They meet the second Thursday of the month at the Greece Barns and Noble. Be there at 7:00 for a short discussion on a writing topic, and a ten minute writing exercise (share only if you want). About 8:00 she starts critiques of short works or sections of a story/poem.

The Lilac City Rochester Writers (LCRW), http://lcrw.org/, meet on the fourth Saturday at 10:00 AM in the Gates Town Hall. This non-profit group has some very impressive workshops. The annual dues are $25, prorated to a half year if you join mid-year. The first three times you go are free, after which you will be expected to join. (Our own Kim will do the October 24 workshop.) July 25, [NOT YET SCHEDULED]; August 22, "Make Book Trailers Work For You", Presentation by Kim McDougall; September 26, Presentation by TV investigative reporter, Rachel Barnhart; October 24, "Masculine and Feminine Points of View", Presentation by Kim Wehner; November 21, "Writing Sex Scenes", Presentation by Jenni Holbrook; December 19, HOLIDAY PARTY.

Write The Night Away is on the third Friday of each month. Dee Hogan runs the group at Golisano Gateway, St. John Fisher College, from 7-9 p.m. She can be reached at 385-7310.

No comments:

Post a Comment